Thursday, September 13, 2007

Losing Faith

It’s fairly easy to lose your faith. To get it back again? Is of course much harder.

When something bad happens, it’s always easier to blame God. It’s because we can’t see Him yet we know He is responsible for us being here. So who better to blame than the one who put us in such predicaments? When we lose our way, we ask, “Why? Why me?” but we rarely notice the little things that we have and take for granted. The fact that we can walk, talk, earn a living, see, touch, feel; the list is endless. I for one have asked the same question. I have in many different episodes of my life, felt hopelessness and defeat. Sometimes, I feel like I was the one abandoned and forgotten. That I had somehow fallen out of His book of mercy. But there are times that I feel grateful, just to be alive. To be human. To know things that others don’t and to experience life at its lowest and greatest moments.

I’ve been through hardships and yet I’m still here. A little stronger and a little wiser. Experience has taught me that we are destined to face obstacles; some easier to overcome and others just require time, patience and faith to see us through. How do you cope by losing a loved one? Or losing your job? Two very different situations differentiated only by the magnitude of sadness felt. Some people I know see other people’s situation as trivial compared to their own pain and suffering. But I always say, “Pain is pain” no one can say how insignificant the other person’s situation is, because though we like to believe it; we DON’T really know how it feels. At least not how the other person perceives it.

As humans, we often wonder why we never get what we want. More money, nicer clothes, a better looking husband, a normal family; things that we dream about almost everyday. We convince ourselves that once we get what we want, we’ll be happy. But is that really true? Will we ever really be satisfied once we get what we want? Or will we move on to other obsessions? A rich person will always feel like he’s not rich enough. A pretty girl will always feel like she isn’t pretty enough. We’re always pitting our short comings with other people’s achievements. That’s human. And it’s almost understandable. But when it becomes a reason for us to feel bitter about our lives, it’s an unnecessary and endless mental turmoil we put ourselves in. And for what?

Why do we ask questions that have no definite answers? Because we love to think that our problems are too much to bear. That our lives are so unbearable at times. Well, maybe sometimes it is. But while feeling sad about it is acceptable, losing faith is just borderline depression. What ever it is, we need to see the bigger picture. That no matter how shitty things get, someone else on this planet have even bigger problems. Sure, you don’t get to eat at some fancy place as often as your friends but some people don’t get to eat until a big crate falls from the sky. So, you do the math. How many times have you stopped to think about other people less fortunate than you? Things aren’t always as bad. We have our good days and our bad ones; but we have so much more than most. So don’t beat yourself up over the small stuff, be thankful for the great things you have that others can only dream of. Only then you’ll start to realise how damn lucky you really are.

No comments: